Thursday, June 10, 2010

Baby Brain

Back in the day, when I LOVED to babysit other obnoxious kids, I got a sneak Peek into the lives of many different families.

My favorite was babysitting for Lisa. I LOVED to be around her family.

My kids are the ages that her kids were when I did most babysitting.

Now, with having my own kids, I think back and see things differently.

I see the laundry she had folded on the couch as a labor of love.
I see the rules she had for her boys as protection.
I see the miles she would run in the mornings were not always for the exercise itself.

Being a Mom takes a lot out of you.

I remember her forgetting what seemed to me to be the very obvious.
Her words still ring clear to me.

“You wait, Ember, someday you’ll loose your mind too.”

“Ha! Whatever!” I commented only to myself.

I absolutely loved this Lady but didn’t believe I would ever fall ill to her “sickness.”

It was the silly things like misplacing keys, forgetting people’s names, or looking for the object she was holding in her hands. You know, scatter brain type of things.

Being around her frequently I saw this behavior often enough.

She would always laugh it off with “You wait Ember....”

My youthful mind was quick and bright- never would this happen to me!

Fast forward 15 years.....

I officially have Baby Brain! Since having my 4th child I can’t get anything straight.

I can’t remember the names of my friends these days. I have to stop and think before I call them by name!
I’m lucky if I know what day it is anymore.
I drive down the road and a sick panic hits me in the gut and I wonder if I’ve forgotten my baby at home. (My biggest fear!)
I find myself standing in a room and have no idea what I’m there for.
Don’t be alarmed if you see me with a blank stare. I usually snap out of it within the hour.

“Where are my keys? WHERE ARE MY KEYS!!... Never mind, they are right here.”

“Hi can I speak to......” (Oh no, who did I call?)

“Did I show up at the right time?”

“I missed that!??”

“What are you talking about?”

I am swallowing a huge humble pill! I haven’t spoken to my Young Women Leader about this, but I think I better contact her to see if this sickness is Long term.

That is IF she remembers me....


Photo: A beautiful evening and dinner on the porch!

1 comment:

Brooke said...

I love this post! You crack me up Em. I fall into the baby brain category also..and my baby is two! I blame it on going back to school these last few weeks but lets face it. I've always been like this. Only, made worse by having my first child. Your family is beautiful. I always injoy the photos you share. Hope to see you on you next visit to So Utah.