Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Farewell to Husted Lane

***Because of our recent move and lack of internet, I am posting journal entries now.


March 15, 2010 3:42 AM

The last load at Husted Lane was packed quickly. Suddenly the rooms were empty and we were off to our new home.
I found myself alone in the house closing windows and locking doors, and that’s when I got emotional.

As I pulled the blinds closed; my life at Husted Lane went dark. With the rain coming down outside and wind rattling the windows the tears came freely as I walked through the hall one more time. The finger prints on the walls were wiped clean, the bedrooms once full of personality now empty.

Our Home was now just a House.

I cried leaving the walls that protected my little family for five years. Husted Lane has been a paradise to me. It’s where I potty- trained my kids, taught them to read, ride bikes, and clean.

It’s where my “young” mothering days were formed.

From the beginning, I have always told Sam: “I’m going to cry when we leave this place.”

And there I stood, in the kitchen sobbing in his arms with our kids and our life waiting in the moving truck.

Life on Husted Lane was beautiful.

I stopped at the mail box on my way down the stairs and read our family name on the box. So many memories attached to so many things. It’s hard to put an end to good things.

Don, our Land Lord, stood under the garage door to keep dry and watched as we stuffed the last boxes into cars. I sat in the car and cried to mom on the phone, happy the rain was concealing my emotions. I’m going to miss him. He really took care of us.

As the moving truck pulled away I pulled up to him with a tear stained face and said good-bye.
“You were like my serrogant daughter” he said. “It’s not going to be the same around here.”

Leaving felt like a dream.

I’m still here- I’m just not there.

Our new house isn’t a home yet but each day we’re one empty box closer.

No comments: