Sunday, March 7, 2010

Birth Plan

 
Posted by Picasa


In four short weeks my baby is due. What is the most important thing to me right now?....My Birth Plan.

Giving Birth is more than showing up to the Hospital.

To me, giving birth is allowing my body to perform its God ordained gift.

Mothers “GET“ to birth babies. This is what our bodies do. We are not SICK. Our bodies are NOT broken when we go into labor.

I don’t want to step into a Hospital and be treated like I have a ”Condition.“ I’m about to take part of the greatest miracle to humans.
Don’t tie me up to an IV or restrict me to a bed! Don’t watch the clock and monitor the drugs.

Stand back and watch my body work with God! I can’t wait!

Don’t get me wrong, I know there will be pain, but I truly feel labor should be an amazing Spiritual experience. (pain included)
Thus brings me to the ”Birth Plan.“ How do I view Birth?

I am on my 4th child and I’ve experienced all varieties of birth.

Jarom, was mostly Natural with a few doses of Nubian, delivered by a Mid-wife.
Jennica, I went in to be induced and upon arrival experienced major bleeding and was rushed off for Emergency C-Section. (talk about being in the right place at the right time!!!)
Jace, I had an Epidural. (Talk about easy birth experience!!)

This pregnancy I feel I want more out of the experience. I feel something has been missing.

A few weeks ago I realized I needed to be mentally ready for this birth. A lot is going on in my life right now (moving this weekend) and it has been easy to put aside the realization of the due date arriving soon. (hence, the lack of a boy name ).

My inner self has been warning me it’s time to get ready emotionally and mentally
.
But, I’ve done this 3 times...why the pressure? What was I looking for?

After talking to my sister about it she suggested I look up ”Spiritual Birth“ and see where it takes me.

That was exactly where I needed to go! (Thanks Sis!)

The ”Spiritual“ aspect of Labor has been missing. I have viewed birth as a condition- not the miracle it is.
After a few trips to the Library I found the perfect book that offered the perspective I was searching for. I read the book in two settings.

Today I watched a Documentary on Birth and feel ashamed that I wasn’t educated about this BEFORE my 1st child.

My body isn’t any different today, than the women 1000 years ago who trusted their bodies to handle birth. I feel I feared birth because of the way our culture views it, and the way I was treated each time I gave birth. It was too much scheduling, monitoring, restrictions, tests. If I didn’t keep to the rules my baby would be in danger!!
Talk about giving up the power of our bodies to the natural man!

Technology is wonderful if something goes wrong. That’s what its for. (Like Jennica’s Birth) But it saddens me that I didn’t trust my body to do what we are created to do! I know PAIN is in the forefront of our minds when we opt out but consider the gift it really is. I never thought of it that way.
I just went with the flow. Did what my Dr. told me to, and showed up at the Hospital when it hurt!

For some reason this time was different. I listened to my body first and then my Dr. I found myself refusing most of the blood work and ultrasounds because they seemed unessary. I just wanted to pay attention to my body. I didn’t know exactly why. I just didn’t want to do it all. Now I see that was the beginning of trusting my body.
I knew everything was fine. My Dr. wanted test’s to prove that. Just like the Hospital will want the machines to tell them and me when I should deliver.

Does that sound right?

Showing up to the Hospital won’t cut it for me this time. My Dr. won’t deliver this baby.

My body will.

Will it hurt? Yes. Because my body is ALLOWING life to come forward. My body knows what to do, and it will do it if I TRUST it.

I think it’s all in the way you view Labor. If you feel your body is broken because you are going into Labor you go to the Hospital and they will take away the pain and ”fix“ you.

If you feel your body is doing what is Necessary to bring forth Life, you surrender to it!

What a challenge.


(With this newfound knowledge I realize I have a problem. The Hospital I am registered to birth at does not allow Freestanding Birth. When I check in I will be monitored and hooked up to an IV and probably confined to a bed. That leaves no room for allowing my body to move as it needs. Therefore, tomorrow we will be calling a Birthing Center out of town to see if they will take a new patient 36 weeks along! If not, plan B is to labor as long as I can at home and arrive at the Hospital to push.
Further proof that we lead a Spontaneous Life. Who makes changes like this in the 11th hour? The Hobi’s ALWAYS do!)

No comments: