Thursday, January 14, 2010

Something to chew on

I rushed to the grocery store for one item needed for dinner...Monterey Jack Cheese.

As I hurried to the Entrance a table was set up just outside the doors with a young woman collecting money for the Earthquake victims in Haiti.

As I passed her she kindly said to me, “Please consider this when you leave.”

I immediately knew I wasn’t going to contribute because I was using a debit card and never carry cash.

Then my mind was refocused to getting in and out of the store as fast as I could.

I found the cheese, stood in line longer than I wanted and was soon on my way out.

As I approached the doors, I saw the woman again, and she politely asked if I’d like to contribute. I held up the debit card and said, “Sorry no cash.”

She sweetly replied she understood as I walked away.

Feeling a “little” guilty I wondered if these charities are a success anymore with the wide use of credit cards and debit cards.
I think I’d be more willing to hand over cash if I was ever carrying it.

Just as these thoughts entered my mind and before I got 10 yards away from this woman I spotted a $20 bill in the parking lot!

“You know what?” I called out as I picked it up. “Looks like you just gained $20.”
I returned to her table and dropped the money into her collection box.

I felt good about the exchange until I told Sam about it.

He teased me about taking the easy way out.
“It’s easy to give away someone else’s money isn’t it? No sacrifice, commitment, or risk.”

Suddenly my good deed didn’t feel so good.

He’s right...

It probably would have felt a lot better to ask for cash back when buying my block of cheese and donate my own money.



No comments: