Monday, January 25, 2010

bedtime

Lately I have been tired enough to choose sleeping on the COUCH rather than my BED!

I’ll admit I have even shared a few Moons with the recliner too.

I feel a little separation between me and the bed.

I don’t know that I can place my finger on the issue but there are feelings that need to surface.

Something just isn’t right.

I don’t like BEDTIME.

Last night I slept the entire night with my head at the foot of the bed.

It’s as if I am trying to trick myself mentally that I am NOT really “in” bed.

I have always had issues with bed time. I have a hard time shutting down. When I lived at home it really irritated me when my mom would turn off all the lights at 10pm and go to bed. aka: Put the house to bed.

I don’t like the whole routine of it all.

Ideally, I like to fall asleep when and where I am -when I feel sleepy.

“Falling Asleep“ means stay where you are when you dose off. It doesn’t require checking all the locks on the doors, turing off lights, changing into pajamas, or setting the alarm. All that mumbo jumbo wakes you right back up!

I love falling asleep next to Sam on the couch, or with a book in hand. Nothing scheduled about it.

For several years Sam would try to wake me and have me move into the bedroom if I fell asleep. Now he knows better.

”If I am asleep on the bathroom floor-LEAVE me there!“ I would tell him.

It seems as if he has taken to my sleeping theory lately.

I find after long chats on the couch we both doze off and I wake up to lights on and Sam right next to me, or I find him under the reading light with book in hand at wee hours of the morning snoozing away.

That is peaceful sleep to me. That means total relaxation.

Brushing, changing, locking doors, checking on kids, saying prayers, setting the alarm and even QT with the hubby can be done BEFORE bedtime.

Bedtime is when you ARE asleep!

Too add to my quirkiness I also sleep better if I don’t know what time it is. I’ll avoid looking at the clock if I can. I feel better in the morning if I don’t know the hours I did or didn’t get.
My body tells me if I need more or less. Sam thinks my sleep meter is broken. I could easily use 12 hours a night. (and a nap would be nice)

So, there is my bedtime drama.

Am I normal?


January 25, 2010 7:53 PM

No comments: