Friday, February 20, 2009

Crazy Hair

 This morning the kids announced it was crazy hair day. I breathed a sigh of relief, thinking I could take a day off doing Jennica’s hair, she’ll fit right in even if I don’t touch it. As for Jarom, he looks great with his hair spiky but if it’s a poof this morning, he too, will fit in.

I was surprised to find Jarom grooming himself as I walk past the bathroom. My 1st grader is taking Spirit Day with Pride. He emerged with each spike in it’s proper place.... nothing crazy.

Jennica sits at the breakfast table listening intently as Daddy reads the scriptures, so I thought. She interupts him in mid-sentance.
“Daddy, I think I want my hair to stick straight up like this.” She is stringing her hair out as far as her arms will reach. Oblivious that Daddy, or any of us at the table are NOT deep into HER thoughts like she is.

For once, Jennica lets me brush her hair and pull and twist without a whimper. She is excited about Crazy Hair Day. She pulls out the Hair paint from Halloween and tells me to paint away.
In goes pig-tails and lots of hair ties. Then I spray her red, and blue. Her Girls Just Wanna Have Fun shirt adds the perfect touch.

After quite a bit of prodding I talk Jarom into a little hair paint. He reminded me of those popcicles from the Ice Cream truck called Fire crackers. He was Red and Blue striped.

Quickly they threw on their coats and ran to the bus stop. After closing the door behind them I had a good laugh. This was a fun morning.

Then, panic set in! What if it really wasn’t Crazy Hair Day? I never saw the announcement. I didn’t hear a word about it. I just went with it this morning.

It would completly devistate them if they showed up and it wasn’t Crazy Hair Day. I had flashbacks of my mistake in the 3rd Grade. I showed up to school wearing my brother’s baseball uniform, complete with cleats, pants, hat and black streaks under my eyes. In those days I rode my bike to school and I got there with plenty of time to play before the bell rang. So I didn’t notice at first that I was the ONLY one dressed in costume.
Soon enough it became evidant that I had made a mistake. I sat in the girls bathroom trying to downplay this costume but found no way around it. I wanted to disappear.

If I could prevent my children from this type of embarrasment I would. I made a phone call to my neighbor and asked if her son had Crazy Hair. She put me at ease, it was indeed, Crazy Hair Day.

Whew....




Posted by Picasa

No comments: