Sunday, May 9, 2010

A Mothers Day Memory

Last year on Mothers Day I was in bed with Kidney Stones.
This year on Mothers Day I am in bed with a new baby!

I remember finding joy ,last year, in that painful experience, as I sat home alone while the rest of my family was at church without me.
I reread that journal entry this morning and thought it ironic that I would have a similar experience a year later.
I am still in love with New England, and am enjoying a morning alone to stare at my beautiful baby.
I still feel a “Perfect Mothers Day, for me, is to be left alone. Quiet moments go a LONG way with me.
The difference this year is I am not at Husted Lane and I'm not in pain. Already I remember that life with fondness and look forward to my new life as a new mother...again.

Mothers Day Last year:

Through my opened window I awoke to New England sounds.

First church bells, then the distant sound of a lawnmower, birds, quarling dogs, chimes and
best of all- kids enjoying the dry morning.
It has been raining for the past week. A rain we understand is necessary for the trees and blossoms that surround us here.

The leaves on the trees and bushes are filling in quickly. Growth is everywhere, concealing our “Heaven on Earth” here on Husted Lane. I like it like this.

It’s Mothers Day today, May 10th. The air is cool with a bold breeze playing the chimes, and spreading the Lilac aroma trying to bloom.

Typically, Mothers Day for me is spent at Church where all mothers are given a flower and motherhood is lauded in talks throughout the day.

Today I’m enjoying the day from the comforts of my own bed. (with kidney stones)

The house is quiet. All three kids fed, dressed, and off to church with dad.

This is the PERFECT Mothers Day.

There is something about solitude that does me good!

I hear things I wouldn’t normally listen to like the squirrels running along the fence.

I have thoughts that can linger longer without being interrupted by the zillion things a mother typically does.

I see beauty everywhere. Now that Winter is behind us, I am once again, living in Paradise!

I love the thick green trees, the cool morning air, the constant chirping birds and antique stone walls that are staples here in New England.

I love our Stone Terrace, grass circle, and paved subdivision, which is the envy of our friends. Sidewalks don’t exist here, so a place to ride a bike for young
kids is hard to find. (Unless you drive to the church parking lot)

I know the day we move from Husted Lane (no plans in the making) I will cry.

This is where the bulk of my motherhood days have been spent. This is where I have taught my kids so many things.
This is where we experienced so many milestones together as a family. This place has been perfect for us.

No comments: