Friday, February 5, 2010

Like Me??

Today is dress like your parents day at school. Earlier in the week Jen and I joked about how we could make her look like me.
Some idea’s were putting a pillow in her belly, wearing one of my shirts, or carrying a doll with her.

As the week wore on I forgot about it. This morning I caught a glimpse of her walking down the hall and I cringed when I saw what she was wearing.

“Hey Jen, let’s go find a shirt that goes with that dress.” I suggested. “And maybe you should wear your black boots instead.”
I wondered if kids her age tease about what shoes they wear. I figured IF they did, today might be the day she gets a turn.

She stomped her little foot and said, “But Mom! It’s dress like your parents day!”

I was stumped! Was she suggesting I DRESS LIKE THAT??!

I just looked at her....she just looked at me.....

She shrugged her shoulders as if to say this was the best she could do and turned and walked away.

This is strange, I thought to myself.

I went to Sam to share my concern.

“Sam, today is dress like your parents day today...”

“Yeah, Jarom is wearing torn jeans and a sweater!”

“Never mind Jarom, he wasn’t dressing up. Did you see Jen?”

“Is she wearing her pajamas?” He guessed with a smile.

“Is she wearing her pajamas?!” I laughed. Clearly I wear mine way too often around here.
(I think if she were wearing her pajamas it would closer to the truth...I hope)

“No, she’s not wearing her pajamas. You need to see this.”

We peeked out the window to see her playing in the ice outside.

“The part that kills me is she is wearing tennis shoes and socks with her dress!“ I commented. ”She looks like a polygamist! Maybe her teachers will think she is dressing like your 2nd wife.“ I joked.

”Very Timely.“ He laughed. ”This month’s National Geographic front cover is on Polygamy in America.“ he reminded me.

”I tried to get her to change the shoes.....“ I offered as some sort of justification, as I watched her outside.

”She said she was dressing like me.“ I said sadly as I watched my terribly miss-matched girl leave for school.

She will get teased today- and she’s dressing like me!

I do know she is smart enough she can pull off the excuse that she is in costume!

Mothers are always teaching...even when we’re not talking! I have some things to work on apparently.

Click on image
 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Chelsi said...

It's hard to k now sometimes if we want them to grow up and get their own ideas, or not. I'm sure we would all be surprised if we could see ourselves through our children's eyes.