Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Winter Blues meets a Crush

I’m not sure I can handle cold days and gray skies much longer. Each February I run out of “winter endurance” and start coveting people who live in warmer climates than me.

Last Sunday, although it was cold, seemed to have a hint a Spring in the air. I was uplifted by it too.
“Is it just me?” I asked Sam. “Can you feel something different in the air?”
He admitted to a fresh new “something” also.

I know better though. I know that even though my family back in Utah and California are beginning to see Spring, that I still have a few more winter storms and lots of rain before the sun is out to stay.

April is the month we thaw out. That’s at least 6 weeks away!

I’m not new to this game. It’s the same every year but I get depressed right about NOW! Actually, I’m impressed I made it to the end of February.

Right now I need a DISTRACTION.
I need something to keep my mind off the rain and snow outside.
I need something to keep my mind off the exact amount of days till I “might” go into Labor.

I need the light at the end of the tunnel.

Today I sat around and did nothing. After explaining to Jace that he wasn’t going to watch a movie, because Mom didn’t need a nap, I found myself snorting in the recliner as I dozed off into the dark abyss of a pregnancy nap.

Where did that come from?

I could have done some laundry or went grocery shopping but NOPE, ....no desire.
I left the house only to pick up the kids from school. Jace almost talked me into leaving them there. He thought that would be alright.
I managed to put on a happy face for the new shift I was about to work.

Luckily, the kids were in good spirits after school. Jarom and I talked for almost an hour about ALL the girls that have a “Crush” on him. It was so cute how confident he is about their fondness toward him.

“So, which girl do you have a crush on?” I wondered. “Is it one that has a crush on you?”

Suddenly his eyes shot me a look. At first it was uncertain but quickly turned to amusement.

Now we were playing a new game.
I’ll call it the 2nd grade crush game.

To play: The 2nd grader needs to be questioned about a possible crush. Once that is in place the 2nd grader will deny but encourage any accusing questions to keep the focus on him and the subject.

Oh, it was so cute to see him with a smirk on his face as he squirmed and fidgeted but desperately enjoyed letting me in on his secret.

A Crush. That’s sure to cure the Winter Blues.

Oh, to be a school kid again.


This is Jarom showing me a heart (?) with his hands.

No comments: