Monday, February 1, 2010

Jennica's I love you Day

February 1, 2010 8:51 PM




Because Sam and I feel Valentines Day is an Adult celebration, a few years ago we decided to create our own Special celebration in an age appropriate way for our kids. We share an I Love you Day with each child during the month of February.

Today was Jennica’s I Love You Day.

As tradition goes they never know when their day is going to arrive. It’s always a surprise when they get home from school.

While Jen was at school today Jace and I put it together.

Jace kept singing “Jen’s lucky day, Jen’s lucky day!” as he plastered her closet door with hearts.

I stuck hearts all over her walls and left her little gifts, crafts, and a treat.
It is as simple as decorating her room and she feels so important for the day.

We all wrote a little note on a HUGE card telling her we loved her.

She LOVED it!



This is a tradition they ask about often. Even Jace asks when we celebrate I Love You Day.

I find it rather annoying that kids pass around love notes at school.

Come on! Do Kindergartners really understand what it means to be someone’s Valentine?
Do they need to understand that at age 5?
Why do I need to explain to my child what another CHILD is implying by the words Be Mine or Wild Thing? This is NOT kid stuff!

I think it would be better if the valentine cards were more tailored to friendship. The comments or suggestions from a Valentine card DO NOT need to be introduced in grade school!!!

It’s a LOVE issue I feel doesn’t need to be celebrated at such a young age with schoolmates.

Yes, I remember my years in Elementary School getting Valentine’s. The fun part was getting CANDY and decorating your box for mail. Now days you don’t pass out candy or even create a box. I wonder why the teacher’s tolerate it.

I am a fan of Valentines Day. It’s a day Sam and I celebrate but it has nothing to do with the kids.

I Love You Day allows the family to focus on an Individual for a day.

That’s true love!

Things I LOVE about Jen:

She will give up anything to give to someone who is suffering.
She loves to surprise me with acts of kindness.
She loves to kiss and cuddle Everything!
She loves to share.
She makes sure her room is PERFECTLY clean before going to school.
She gets the mail for me everyday.
Every picture she draws is about family or says I Love you on it.

No comments: