Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Walk to School Day

Dear Dad, (sam)

I thought it would be fun to ride bikes to school for "Walk to School" day. Poor Jen didn't like that idea. You saw how she was at the bus stop. Before we even left Husted Lane she was already in tears. First it was because of her backpack, then the cross walk button, then the breaks , then somehow it all became MY fault. I think it took us 35 minuets to get to school. (A ride that shouldn't take but 15 min.)

If I rode behind her she would stop and refuse to get back on her bike. If I rode in front of her she would scream for me to stop.
At cross walks I would stop in the middle of the road to make sure she would make it across safely- but upon seeing me stop, she would stop short of the cross walk. There I was in the middle of the street coaxing a MUEL to cross!

The only solution I could see to the situation was to keep moving. I didn't even dare look back at her, I was afraid too!
I figured if I could hear her yelling at me she was still following.

She expended more energy on her fit than the whole bike trip itself. Once we got to the bike rack I was so feed up I was so angry that a "fun" activity turned out this way. This bike ride was for them- why was I the bad guy?

Jennica took off her helmet and ditched her bike and turned to me with her sweat plastered hair and asked longingly:
"Mom, will I see you at lunch?"
I really didn't like her at that moment but was amazed at her ability to get over this "tramatic" bike ride once she took off the helmet!
"I'll see you at eleven."
And away she went smoothing her hair and wiping her face of any evidence of the monster she just was.

As I left the school I passed a dad carrying his toddler on his sholders. The boy was thrashing about and yelling and crying about how stupid they were. The mother had the mortified look on her face as I appraoched her and I couldn't help but smile at her and say I've had a similar morning.
I felt a little better after seeing them. My life is normal....right?

I wish I could say it all ended there but it didn't. When we got home from school I asked her to pick up her room, but the second the words escaped my lips I decided that was a battle I didn't want today. She did just what I expected and I calmly responded by telling her never mind. It can wait another day.
She paused, considered my option then rejected it.
"Mom, but I don't want my room to be a mess!"
"You decide Jen. I don't mind what you pick."
"But I WANT to clean my room!"
"That's your choice."
"But I don't want to do it myself!"

I've learned the best thing for me to do now is VACUUM!
I love the vacuum. It softened the whine as she continued to follow me. The question of the day was which one would win?
I really wish our house were bigger. I pulled out the hose and climbed under the tables, under the rugs, doorways....
The Vacuum won!!
Then I drew a hot bubble bath.....for her!

It's a tough job being a kid!

Sorry you missed all the action. At bedtime she asked if you would give her a kiss when you got home.
Save some for ME!!

Love,

Mom


PS- She did clean her room all by herself. :)


Party Pooper

1 comment:

Ben Kroff said...

Again, can I say...you rock. What a great parent you are. Where is Sam?