Monday, July 20, 2009

Bird Funeral

This morning, during a family bike ride, we ventured to the school playground to play on the swings.

Jarom and Jennica quickly secured their spots on the “high” swing and were chanting:

“Under dog, Under dog!”

In which, I have the pleasure of giving them a running push, as I duck under the swing and run through to the other side- over and over- and over again.

As Jace and I were running down the hill toward the swings he stopped dead in his tracks.

When I turned to see what he was doing I saw his four year old face soften with concern for what lay on the ground before him.

He crouched down and lovingly asked the dead bird what happened.

During this moment, in a four year olds world everything stopped.

He forgot about the race to the swings, the bees in the grass and the under dogs we rode a mile and a half for.

Right now was for the bird.

“Mom, can I give him a kiss?” He asked, not taking his eyes off the bird.

By now the other kids had gathered around to see what we were looking at.

Jace declared the bird dead and all four of us stood there in silence.

Typical of a seven year old boy, Jarom wanted to flip it over to see if the other side was hurt.

Instead, I suggested we give it a funeral.

All eyes were anxiously waiting for my next move to learn if I was really serious.

“Lets sing it a song.“

Jennica smiled and watched me as I sang a song of thanks for beautiful birds.
(Mommy magic kicked in and provided a few rhyming words)

Then I suggested we say a prayer.

Each of them looked at me funny, not taking me seriously but eventually folding their arms once I began to pray.

I thanked God for birds and the songs they offer, their beauty and life they add to the sky. Then prayed this little bird before us would return to Heaven and fly again with the Angles.

After the prayer Jace studied the bird and asked, ”Mom, did the bird really go to Heaven?“

I told him the bird returned to it’s Maker, Heavenly Father.

He looked toward the sky then back at the bird and asked the obvious, ”Why is the bird still here?“

I assured him the birds Spirit was flying with Angels today.

He took my hand as we walked toward the swings and said, ”I can’t wait to go back to Heaven to be with Heavenly Father and Jesus, Mom.“

”Me too“ I replied, ”It’s going to be great.“

That bird gave me a special gift today. I’m grateful for that.


I love that Greg Olsen depected the Savior paying notice to the little birds in this picture titled In His Constant Care.

No comments: