Sunday, May 3, 2009

Nutrition Mission

 
Posted by Picasa



Imagine a food enhancer you can add to your child’s food that will excite their brain and make them want to eat more!
An enhancer that can make DIRT taste great.
Sounds great, right! Spinach, Brussels sprouts... NO PROBLEM!

Would you use it?

Would you use it if it overexcites nerve impulses making it difficult to control emotions?

Regardless of your answer, you and your child are victims of this enhancer.

If you have Ranch Dressing in your fridge, use croutons on your salad, eat at KFC (or ANY fast food), or use Cream of Chicken Soup you are getting a hefty dose of this enhancer.
It’s in your breakfast, lunch and dinner. (Especially if you eat out)

Welcome to MSG.

Since being introduced to this enhancer I run into it everywhere I turn.

So, what’s the big deal, right?

Think back to your elementary days. Were you in a class full of kids with learning disabilities, allergies, and cancer?
I can’t remember a single one.

I live in a community where Latex balloons are not allowed in a school building because of allergies.
nuts aren’t allowed in the classroom, and it’s a big No, No, (I repeat) No, No, to bring cupcakes to celebrate a birthday or holiday.

What’s happened? Why is every class a victim of allergies and learning disabilities now?

I did a little reading on MSG. I remember hearing I should avoid it while pregnant and I’ve seen a few products proudly announcing it did NOT contain MSG.

So, what is it?

According to this

MSG is an excitotoxin in the brain, it over stimulates the brain causing the production of excessive amounts of dopamine. This creates a drug like rush that provides a brief sensation of well being. It is highly addictive, causing it’s consumers to keep coming back for more and over eating. In process, brain cells are destroyed.

Cooperation's love MSG because it makes cheap ingredients taste great.

MSG gets you to eat more.



Hummm.....

Doesn’t that sound like a brilliant plan? Corporation's have figured out how to cut costs by selling low quality food loaded with MSG to maintain taste and make a huge profit from it; all the while we are becoming addicted and return for more!

I have read that small doses of MSG is not harmful, but where do you draw the line? If MSG is in EVERYTHING you are not getting a small dose.
If your kid eats a hamburger or chicken nuggets for lunch from a fast food chain it’s in their system. But what about the bag of chips or crackers for a snack? Most likely it has found it’s way into breakfast and dinner.

I went through my fridge and read the labels to all the dressings and threw out ALL of them!
I am a big fan of Ranch dressing -but not anymore.

It doesn’t have to be in EVERYTHING! It’s just a convenient way for corporations to make a profit.

I can find alternative options. I just have to read labels and shop smart.

I use to walk into a grocery store and see so many possibilities. Now I walk into a grocery store and see the lack of possibilities.

It frustrates me to no end that the FDA is approving junk. Just because a product is FDA approved doesn’t mean it is safe.

Thus, my Nutrition Mission evolved. I have so much to learn. I have thrown out a lot of food that isn’t safe for my family.
I know to some people this sounds crazy. I’m over reacting.

It just makes sense to me to eat natural foods. I don’t think eating fast food and foods with MSG will kill my family...at least not today.

I DO believe it will shorten our lives and make them more complicated with health issues.
All because someone wants to make a buck.

It DOESN’T have to be in so many foods!

If the movie Super Size Me didn’t scare you, take a closer look at MSG and why they add it to EVERYTHING!!

I have a child that nutrition really make a difference with. I can almost predict crazy behavior 10-15 minuets after she eats certain foods. It's my job as her mom to offer her foods that will benefit her growth NOT hinder it.
It's additives like this that make my life and hers harder to enjoy. I can see by looking at her that something is not right.
I'm going to get to the bottom of this!

I am thrilled a movie is coming out this summer titled FOOD INC. I saw the preview and felt my frustrations had a voice!!


4 comments:

Haylee said...

Hey Ember, I've discovered a cookbook that I really enjoy - The Feel Good Cookbook: Whole foods and Allergy Free Recipes by Jonell West Francis. You can get it on Amazon.com for about $25 or at her website at feelgoodcookbook.com (or close to that). She is from Provo. She has a lot of great recipes for sauces to replace your cream soups, as well as homemade dressings and ketchup, etc. I haven't made them all yet but what I have made I have been impressed with. I'm not where I'd like to be yet with getting rid of the garbage in our cupboards, but we're working on it!

Haylee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chelsi said...

All I can really say is that the more things you make from scratch (i.e. salad dressings, sauces, etc) the fewer additives and preservatives you get. It's nice to know exactly what's going into your food.

Penny said...

My mom is allergic to MSG. It's in almost every Chinese food, and everything else. It is scary. I like the convinience of those items, but it's not worth the health and well being of our children to buy them. I totally agree and don't think you're overreacting.