Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Looking back- the car

Turning sixteen was a Heavenly day for me. On that day I gained a portable personality. I was a proud owner of a car! I have no idea what kind of a car it was, but I do remember it was blue, it was MINE, and it started without a key.
This car was my extra closet. It carried my basketball bag, soccer shoes, track clothes, extra clothes, books, and a bunch of other smelly things... like boys.
I was in charge of the music, the money for fuel and the roads!
(My biggest pet peeve was when someone else honked my horn while I was driving!!! Keep your hands off my horn!)

Looking back I realize that car took me many places and through many phases.

Like races through town at crazy speeds, football games in the middle of nowhere, road trips with friends, boyfriend drive-by’s and through the canyon to work at Zion National Park each summer.

I learned how to play road games with boys driving on the highways. (I can’t believe I am still alive or that Lindsey wasn’t kidnapped. I would DIE if my kids did some of the things I did!!)

I pushed the limits with that car all the time.
My car was good to me. As my senior year came to an end, so did my relationship with my car. I sold her for $500 and went to Mexico for my Senior Trip. (where was my loyalty??)

Selling her was removing myself from my high school life, and the friends and the town went with it.
Now It was time to move on to the “real world” (aka College, and a whole different story)

Today, my car represents a different Me. It still carries sport bags, stinky shoes, books and a bunch of other smelly things....little kids. I am still in charge of the music (Scripture Scouts 24/7) and my horn is still a big No, No!

This is a car I won’t be trading for any type of vacation or ditch for a new life. I want to hang on to this phase and it’s passengers forever!! (An upgrade may be necessary soon. Seats are running low)

3 comments:

Amy said...

What a wonderful comparison post. I love how you write. Brilliant how the phases in your life have to do with your vehicle. I love it. Wish we were seeing you at the reunion this weekend in Loa.

Unknown said...

ok..so again...love love love the post..I'm not sure what kind of car that was either Em?? haha & I know my cars! I have to ask about your last comment...seats are running low!?!? yeah...I caught that one! :D tell me is this an announcement? hugs, Brooke
oh and P.S. I want to do a trip to New York for sure..it just might have to be next summer! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Em, I can't believe I am alive either.....I would also die if my kids did the things we did. Sometimes I have to wonder if we had a few screws loose, but I loved our "enthusiasm". I remember that pretty blue beauty and occasionally honking your horn just to see you go crazy! ha ha! I also remember cranking up the tunes and the heater for our road trips up north. The hotter the better:) ps...I also remember the white boat, Lins, donuts and Lisa VanDewater.........ha ha ha